PBD, ZSS is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. Biochemical assays can definitively diagnose PBD, ZSS. Mutations in twelve different PEX genes have been identified to cause PBD, ZSS. They are the PEX1, PEX2, PEX3, PEX5, PEX6, PEX10, PEX12, PEX13, PEX14, PEX16, PEX19, and PEX26 genes. About 68% of individuals with PBD, ZSS have mutations in the PEX1 gene. Mutations in the PEX6, PEX10, PEX12, and PEX26 genes account for an additional 26% of mutations in individuals with PBD, ZSS.
Please note that this test is for the PEX6 gene (6p21.1) only.
For patients with suspected PBD, ZSS, sequence analysis is recommended as the first step in mutation identification. For patients in whom mutations are not identified by full gene sequencing, deletion/duplication analysis is appropriate.
- Confirmation of a clinical diagnosis of peroxisome biogenesis disorders, Zellweger syndrome spectrum in an individual in whom sequence analysis was negative.
- Carrier testing in adults with a family history of peroxisome biogenesis disorders, Zellweger syndrome spectrum in whom sequence analysis was negative.
Please note that a "backbone" of probes across the entire genome are included on the array for analytical and quality control purposes. Rarely, off-target copy number variants causative of disease may be identified that may or may not be related to the patient's phenotype. Only known pathogenic off-target copy number variants will be reported. Off-target copy number variants of unknown clinical significance will not be reported.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
Preferred specimen type: Whole Blood
Type: Whole Blood
Specimen Requirements:In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (<2 years): 2-3 ml
Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment. Ship sample within 5 days of collection at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Specimen Requirements:OrageneTM Saliva Collection kit (available through EGL) used according to manufacturer instructions.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Store sample at room temperature. Ship sample within 5 days of collection at room temperature with overnight delivery.
- Submit copies of diagnostic biochemical test results with the sample, if appropriate. Contact the laboratory if further information is needed.
- Sequence analysis is required before deletion/duplication analysis by targeted CGH array. If sequencing is performed outside of EGL Genetics, please submit a copy of the sequencing report with the test requisition.
- Sequence analysis of the PEX6 gene is available and is required before deletion/duplication analysis.
- Sequence and deletion/duplication analysis for the PEX1, PEX2, PEX3, PEX5, PEX12, PEX14 and PEX26 genes are also available.
- Custom diagnostic mutation analysis (KM) is available to family members if mutations are identified by targeted mutation testing or sequencing analysis.
- Prenatal testing is available only for known familial mutations to individuals who are confirmed carriers of mutations. Please contact the laboratory genetic counselor to discuss appropriate testing prior to collecting a prenatal specimen.