The incidence of neonatal cholestasis is estimated to be 1 in 2500 live births. Genetic and metabolic causes account for at least 25-30% of all cases of neonatal cholestasis, generally due to impairments of hepatobiliary transport, intermediary metabolism, storage disorders, or bile duct dysgenesis. Several of these disorders are life-threatening and benefit from early diagnosis and intervention, yet diagnosing the specific cause via routine serum chemistries or by evaluation of liver biopsies is not as definitive as direct genetic testing. Moreover, several cholestatic entities develop in adults that are caused by variants in these same genes.
Highlights for pediatricians, internists, gastroenterologists, and hepatologists include:
- PFICs, Alagille syndrome, A1AT, bile acid synthetic disorders, CF, etc., all on one platform
- Extremely rare cholangiopathies, (nephronophthises, ARPKD) as well as causes of neonatal liver failure (DGUOK and others)
- Opportunities to diagnose adult-onset cholestatic syndromes, including BRIC, LPAC, and ICP
- Evaluation of hyperbilrubinemia: Crigler-Najjar and Dubin-Johnson syndromes
- Arya G, Balistreri WF. Pediatric liver disease in the United States: epidemiology and impact. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2002 May;17(5):521–5.
- Newborns with chronic liver disease.
Please note that a "backbone" of probes across the entire genome are included on the array for analytical and quality control purposes. Rarely, off-target copy number variants causative of disease may be identified that may or may not be related to the patient's phenotype. Only known pathogenic off-target copy number variants will be reported. Off-target copy number variants of unknown clinical significance will not be reported.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
Type: Whole Blood
Specimen Requirements:In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (<2 years): 2-3 ml
Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Type: Isolated DNA
Specimen Requirements:In microtainer: 10 ug
Isolation using the QiagenTM Puregene kit for DNA extraction is recommended.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment in 100 ng/ul of TE buffer. Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
- Neonatal and Adult Cholestasis: Sequencing Panel