The Emory Genetics Laboratory High Risk Breast Cancer Panel includes genes involved in hereditary cancer predisposition syndromes, including hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome (BRCA1 and BRCA2), hereditary diffuse gastric cancer syndrome (CDH1), Li-Fraumeni syndrome (TP53 and PTEN), hamartoma tumor syndrome (PTEN), and Peutz-Jeghers syndrome (STK11).
It is estimated that 20-25% of familial breast cancer risk can be ascribed to mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes (van der Groep 2011). The contribution of mutations in the CDH1, PTEN, STK11, and TP53 genes to familial breast cancer risk is considerably lower than the contribution of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.
- Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Program of the National Cancer Institute. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2009: Lifetime Risk Tables (URL: http://surveillance.cancer.gov/devcan).
- Van der Groep P, van der Wall E, and van Diest PJ. Pathology of hereditary breast cancer. Cell Oncol (Dordrecht). 2011 Apr;34(2):71-88. (PMID: 21336636).
- Confirmation of a clinical diagnosis of high risk breast cancer.
Deletion/Duplication Analysis: DNA isolated from peripheral blood is hybridized to a gene-targeted CGH array to detect deletions and duplications. The targeted CGH array has overlapping probes that cover the entire genomic region.
Please note that a "backbone" of probes across the entire genome are included on the array for analytical and quality control purposes. Rarely, off-target copy number variants causative of disease may be identified that may or may not be related to the patient's phenotype. Only known pathogenic off-target copy number variants will be reported. Off-target copy number variants of unknown clinical significance will not be reported.
Analytical Sensitivity: ~99%.
Deletion/Duplication Analysis: Detection is limited to duplications and deletions. The CGH array will not detect point or intronic mutations. Results of molecular analysis must be interpreted in the context of the patient's clinical and/or biochemical phenotype.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
Type: Whole Blood
Specimen Requirements:In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (<2 years): 2-3 ml
Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Type: Isolated DNA
Specimen Requirements:In microtainer: 60 ug
Isolation using the QiagenTM Puregene kit for DNA extraction is recommended.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment in 100 ng/ul of TE buffer. Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
- BRCA1/BRCA2 Gene Sequencing and Deletion/Duplication Panel
- BRCA1/BRCA2 Gene Sequencing Panel
- BRCA1/BRCA2 Deletion/Duplication Panel
- Hereditary Cancer Syndrome: Sequencing Panel