The Neuromuscular Disorders Panel includes testing for nemaline myopathy, limb girdle muscular dystrophy, Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy, congenital muscular dystrophy, Zellweger syndrome spectrum, and cardiomyopathies. Individual disorders included on this panel are myoadenylate deaminase deficiency, erythrocyte AMP deaminase deficiency, myofibrillar myopathy, Duchenne/Becker muscular dystrophy, congenital disorder of glycosylation type 1a, malignant hyperthermia susceptibility, myoclonus dystonia, Marinesco-Sjogren syndrome, and distal arthrogryposis.
Note: This test does not detect the retrotransposon insertion in the 3' UTR of the FKTN gene common in some Asian populations. For patients with suspected Fukuyama congenital muscular dystrophy, testing for the FKTN insertion is recommended. Analysis for the FKTN insertion is available as a separate assay.
- Laing (2012). Crit Rev Cl Lab Sci, 49:33-48.
- Confirmation of a clinical diagnosis of neuromuscular disorders.
Analytical Sensitivity: ~99%.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
Type: Whole Blood
Specimen Requirements:In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (<2 years): 2-3 ml
Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Type: Isolated DNA
Specimen Requirements:In microtainer: 60 ug
Isolation using the QiagenTM Puregene kit for DNA extraction is recommended.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment in 100 ng/ul of TE buffer. Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
- Single-gene testing is available for most genes on this panel.
- Limb-Girdle Muscular Dystrophy: Sequencing Panel.
- Congenital Muscular Dystrophy: Sequencing Panel.
- Bethlem Myopathy/Ullrich Congenital Muscular Dystrophy Panel.
- Expanded Neuromuscular: Sequencing Panel.
- Neuromuscular Disorders: Deletion/Duplication Panel.