Best Vitelliform Macular Dystrophy (BVMD)
BVMD is a slowly progressive macular dystrophy that is inherited in an autosomal dominant manner. Onset is typically in childhood. Individuals with BVMD present with decreased central visual acuity and metamorphopsia. They retain normal dark adaptation and peripheral vision. Inter- and intrafamilial variability is seen regarding severity of vision loss and age of onset. The abnormalities observed in BVMD are restricted to the macula.
Autosomal Dominant Vitreoretinochoroidopathy (ADVIRC)
ADVIRC is characterized by a peripheral circumferential retinal band of pigmentary alterations, fibrillary vitreous condensations, punctate white pre or intraretinal deposits, and midperipheral and peripapillary chorioretinal atrophy. Most individuals with ADVIRC retain a fairly good visual acuity throughout life. Additional features include congenital or early-onset cataracts, microcornea, hypermetrophic, and shallow anterior chamber.
Autosomal Recessive Bestrophinopathy (ARB)
Two pathogenic variants in BEST1 cause the clinically distinct autosomal recessive ARB, which is characterized by central visual loss and hyperopia. The age of onset ranges from 4 to 40 years of age with the average being in the 20s.
Other rare clinical presentations associated with pathogenic variants in BEST1 have also been described.
- OMIM #607852: BEST1 gene
- Boon et al. (2009), Prog Retin Eye Res, 28:187-205.
- Davidson et al. (2009), Am J Hum Genet, 85:581-592.
- Confirmation of a clinical diagnosis of a BEST1-related disorder.
- Carrier testing in adults with a family history of a BEST1-related disorder.
Analytical Sensitivity: ~99%
Type: Whole Blood
Specimen Requirements:In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (<2 years): 2-3 ml
Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment. Ship sample within 5 days of collection at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Specimen Requirements:OrageneTM Saliva Collection kit (available through EGL) used according to manufacturer instructions.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Please do not refrigerate or freeze saliva sample. Please store and ship at room temperature.
- Deletion/duplication analysis of the BEST1 gene by CGH array is available for those individuals in whom sequence analysis is negative.
- Several comprehensive next generation sequencing Eye Disorder Panels are available.
- Custom diagnostic mutation analysis (KM) is available to family members if mutations are identified by targeted mutation testing or sequencing analysis.
- Prenatal testing is available only for known familial mutations to individuals who are confirmed carriers of mutations. Please contact the laboratory genetic counselor to discuss appropriate testing prior to collecting a prenatal specimen.