Clinical and biochemical features continue to be used reliably to assign patients to this general disease category. Identification of the precise genetic defect is important, however, to permit carrier testing and early prenatal diagnosis. Molecular analysis is likely to expand the clinical spectrum of LSD and may also provide data relevant to prognosis and future therapeutic intervention. The overall incidence of LSDs as a group is estimated to be 1 in 5,000 births.
Although each LSD results from pathogenic variants in a different gene leading to a deficiency of enzyme activity or protein function, LSDs share one common biochemical characteristic: an accumulation of substrates within lysosomes. The particular substrates that are stored and the site(s) of storage vary. The substrate type is used to group the LSDs into broad categories, including the MPSs, the lipidoses, the glycogenoses, the oligosaccharidoses, and NCLs. Despite this categorization, many clinical similarities are observed between groups as well as within each group. Common clinical features of LSDs include coarse hair and facies, bone abnormalities, organomegaly, and central nervous system dysfunction.
- Boustany RM. Nat Rev Neurol. 2013 Oct;9(10):583-98.
- Fulle M, et al. Fabry Disease: Perspectives from 5 Years of FOS. Chapter 2: Epidemiology of lysosomal storage diseases: an overview.
- Huizing, M., Helip-Wooley, A., Westbroek, W., et al. Annu. Rev. Genomics Hum. Genet. 2008 (9): 359–386.
- With clinical features such as bone abnormalities, organomegaly, central nervous system dysfunction and coarse hair and facies.
- In which NCLs are suspected (presenting with neurocognitive decline, blindness, seizures and premature death.
- Abnormal biochemical results suggestive of an LSD.
Analytical Sensitivity: ~99%.
Submit only 1 of the following specimen types
Type: Whole Blood
In EDTA (purple top) tube:
Infants (Children (>2 years): 3-5 ml
Older Children & Adults: 5-10 ml.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
Type: Isolated DNA
In microtainer: 60 ug
Isolation using the QiagenTM Puregene kit for DNA extraction is recommended.
Specimen Collection and Shipping: Refrigerate until time of shipment in 100 ng/ul of TE buffer. Ship sample at room temperature with overnight delivery.
- Biochemical enzyme assay for lysosomal storage disorders
- Lysosomal Storage Disorders: Deletion/Duplication Panel